Through advocacy with all levels of government and with other trade associations in the marketplace, the Canadian Lenders Association’s Advocacy and Regulatory Committee supports the following principles:
- We support transparency throughout the Canadian marketplace and will support changes to legislative and regulatory frameworks that encourage and enhance transparency for borrowers.
- We advocate for balanced regulatory frameworks that meet the needs of borrowers, as well as provide stable, strong and consistent environments for businesses of all sizes to successfully operate in Canada by minimizing the administrative and compliance costs for lenders.
- We support an open marketplace – one which encourages innovation, the use of technology and healthy competition to advance the needs of borrowers and provide products and services to meet 21st century needs.
We support an open marketplace – one which encourages innovation, the use of technology and healthy competition to advance the needs of borrowers and provide products and services to meet 21st century needs. Members of the CLA Advocacy and Regulatory Committee agree to build these key messages into messaging shared with government and other decision makers to promote a cohesive and united approach to major regulatory issues in the Canadian marketplace that impact or may impact – whether directly or indirectly – the business operations of CLA members.
See: CLA’s Advocacy and Regulatory Principles
Please note: it is important that CLA members do not engage, under the auspices of the CLA, in coordinated behaviors or practices that restrict competition or target competitors who are not members of the CLA. It is critical that CLA staff and CLA members abide by these guidelines which are designed to avoid not only actual wrongdoing but also the appearance of wrongdoing. To that effect, CLA members should generally refrain from sharing with each other any confidential sensitive commercial information such as pricing, capacity, expansion, business plans etc. Should a member have any questions or concerns, please contact Dean Velentzas, Head of Policy.
Committee Sector Initiatives:
- Automotive Roundtable: www.canadianlenders.org/bnpl-task-force
- Task Force: Consumer BNPL: www.canadianlenders.org/automotive-roundtable
Visit our Calendar to discover how you can get involved with the CLA’s Policy Committee.
- Market Entry Checklist (Co-Authored by Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP)
- Regulatory Calendar (Blakes)
- Whitepapers: RTP (VISA), BNPL
- Monthly Regulatory Calendar: